- ABOUT US
We offer a one-day intensive Organic Lawn and Turf Course. This course targets specifically the needs of professionals managing lawns and athletic turf in residential, commercial, or public settings such as schools and parks. We offer this course annually. Over the past five years we have trained over 750 students in organic turf management. The text book for this course is the NOFA Organic Lawn and Turf Handbook, which is available to purchase in our book store.
The sixth annual NOFA Organic Lawn and Turf Course, featuring new topics and speakers, was held in Providence, RI on August 5th. Nationally known natural turf expert, and NOFA AOLCP, Chip Osborne taught much of the course and helped create a new agenda to provide more up-to-date information. Chip recently published "A Cost Comparison of Conventional (Chemical) Turf Management and Natural (Organic) Turf Management for School Athletic Fields."
New speakers included Paul Sachs of North Country Organics, who addressed the important subject of Compaction and Javier Gil of J.Gil Organic Landscaping who spoke on Compost Tea. Don Bishop of Gardens Are... presented Pest, Weeds and Diseases.
The course was held at the beautiful Save the Bay building on the water in Providence. This is the only organic lawn and turf course offered by NOFA OLC in 2010.
Check out our Organic Lawn and Turf supporters here!
WHO SHOULD ATTEND ?
Professional Landscapers • Municipal and School
Employees • Landscape Architects • Garden Center
Managers • Anyone wanting to learn specific
methods of organic lawn and turf management
WHAT IS THE NOFA ORGANIC LAND CARE PROGRAM?
This course is offered by the 10-year-old NOFA Organic Land Care Program, which is overseen by a committee of landscape professionals, scientists, educators and concerned citizens. The program’s mission is to extend the vision and principles of organic agriculture to the care of landscapes where people carry out their daily lives.
In addition to this course, the program offers a comprehensive five-day course that covers all aspects of Organic Land Care. The course is based on NOFA’s Standards for Organic Land Care. Graduates of the five-day course are eligible to become NOFA Accredited Organic Land Care Professionals. We presently have over 550 Accredited Professionals in eighteen states.
• Donald Bishop, Gardens Are...,Marlborough, MA
• Javier Gil, J.Gil Organic Landscaping, Newburyport, MA
• Chip Osborne, Osborne Organics and co-founder of the Living Lawn Project,
• Paul Sachs, North Country Organics, Bradford, VT
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN ?
• How to grow organic lawns and turf that looks good and survives stress
• Why the demand for organic lawn and turf care is increasing
• Transitioning from conventional to organic management
• How to use this knowledge to profit in a rapidly expanding market
• Ways to educate and communicate with clients about organic land management
• Practical info from professionals